Remove this ad

Lead

May 19 14 3:39 PM

Tags : :

We need a button that shows only the new posts since the last visit.  It is difficult to tell what is new using Active Posts and the thread shows the original author of the thread instead of the author of the last post.  It is very frustrating to start back at the beginning of the thread and have to scroll to the end instead of being sent to the first unread post with a click.  The page numbers also glitch a lot giving you a blank page.  If the first page gives you pages 1,2,3 and you click 3 the page comes up blank and you need to go back a page to see the last post.

Thanks
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 19 14 4:49 PM

Hello,
You don't need to read through the whole thread to find where you left off. When there are new posts in a thread, you will see an "unread" icon to the left of the thread. Click that and it will take you to the first unread post since your previous visit.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 20 14 11:30 AM

When you click the last number there is a glitch many times that give you a blank page and the number of pages changes. For instance, if it gives you pages 1, 2 and 3 and you click 3 the page is blank. You are now only given 1 and 2. You then have to click 2 or previous and then scroll to the bottom. The old format and every other format I've used has a New Posts or Unread Posts button as well as a button that takes you to either the last read or first unread post. Many of our forum members are asking for this. On a page with a lot of pictures it can be very tedious to scroll to the bottom every time.

Last Edited By: Skirmish May 20 14 3:02 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 21 14 12:45 AM

Yes that bug has been around a long time, we have not found a fix yet.  I did not realize it was just Firefox though.

Your board, the original skin I don't have and I cannot reproduce it exactly due to the software and also that the images on the old one are copyright to someone else. But... I am working on a "copy" of it here: http://beckys.yuku.com/ (Yuku is the same base software so I can just transfer the skin in when done). It is not done yet but if you would like a copy of it added to your board when it is let me know.

I can also add a "button" for you in your announcement box or in an HTML box (which I can add for you) that will misuse the search function to give you something that may be more similar to your Recent posts option.

Click this: http://warmachines702.forumer.com/search/text/?q=&name=&searchdate=7&beforeafter=after&orderby=created_at&boxes[]=109240&boxes[]=107445&boxes[]=124608&boxes[]=124607&boxes[]=105537&boxes[]=109249&boxes[]=109242&boxes[]=109243&boxes[]=109246&boxes[]=109247&post=Search+Forum&advanced=1

See if that page gives you something more like you prefer. It is hard to read on that results page but I can add some css to your skin to make it more legible. What do you think?

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 21 14 2:31 AM

That search shows some of the things we are looking for but not much better. The search you linked looks better on the mobile app except it is annoying when one thread has multiple back to back posts. Basically I would like to see the Active Posts page with the author, time and preview of the first unread post for all of the current threads. On that page each thread should have a button that takes you to either the first unread post or the last post if it has already been read. I realize this could be a lot of programming to get these functions and I do appreciate your time spent helping us. We have a lot of members that have been on forums for over a decade and it is what we are used to using and would like to continue using.

The flashing conversation bubble for a new post seems to work the way we would like but it would be better if it didn't go away after the first time.  Maybe if it stayed but wasn't flashing and became grey or another color when it was read but would take you to the last post.  I don't think you get any indication on Active Posts that something is new though which makes it difficult to manage.  

I have gotten the empty page bug to happen on Safari, it maybe just certain threads.  

Last Edited By: Skirmish May 21 14 2:40 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

May 21 14 6:30 AM

Skirmish wrote:
The glitch seems to be only with Firefox. It does not happen in Explorer or Safari but for some reason extra pages are added when using Firefox and they end up blank when you select them. This is an example from Firefox of the 3rd page of a 2 page thread.

http://warmachines702.forumer.com/topic/1314446/Forum-upgrade?page=3#.U3vdiHZZqCg

If this is what I think it is, then it's not browser related, but my guess is that you're signed in on firefox, and not signed in with the other browsers. Try it signed in and out and see if it makes a difference.
As for scrolling down on posts with many images, just press the "End" key on your keyboard.

Also, can you link me to the topic with the whimpsy pager please?

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

May 21 14 11:21 AM

Hello,

You reported that the pager is not acting correctly. (e.g. the last page of a topic shows up blank). I would appreciate it if you could provide a link to such topic so that we can take a look.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 21 14 12:46 PM

I think I've found why sometimes I get a blank and sometimes I do not. It seems in Active Topic the page numbers are doubled. If you access the thread "The Skirmish Build" from our Builds section it says 18 is the last page (currently the second thread down here: http://warmachines702.forumer.com/forums/124607/Build-Threads#.U30PSl6bhs4 )

If I use Active Topics it says the same thread has 36 pages. Currently the 3rd down here: http://warmachines702.forumer.com/topics/active#.U30QL16bhs4

Clicking on the 36th page takes you to a blank which is labeled page 18. http://warmachines702.forumer.com/topics/active#.U30QL16bhs4

It looks like all of the Active Topic threads have twice the number of pages as they actually do.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 21 14 4:21 PM

Arizona wrote:

Your board, the original skin I don't have and I cannot reproduce it exactly due to the software and also that the images on the old one are copyright to someone else. But... I am working on a "copy" of it here: http://beckys.yuku.com/ (Yuku is the same base software so I can just transfer the skin in when done). It is not done yet but if you would like a copy of it added to your board when it is let me know.

I adjusted the green a little but thanks the skin looks great!

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 22 14 12:09 AM

Ok..I've added a copy in your list just in case you want one to "mess" with. As I am not sure which one you saw on my board now. LOL. I change it a lot as I work on some and right now has a stripey one there.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

May 22 14 12:14 AM

It was the Bevel Dark that you put in our Board Themes.  I took our green color code and subbed it for the green you had in the text and it looks really good.

2012 JK Sport S w/4.88 gears Yukon Zip rear & LSD front
35" BFG km2 on 17X9 Black Rock d-windows / Adams front Driveshaft / Ten Factory rear axle shafts
3" Synergy Stage 3 lift / Fox 2.0 IPF shocks / JKS Discos
Superwinch Talon 12.5i SR
ACE Bumpers and Tire Carrier / Skirmish Fabrication Fenders and Rock Rails / OR-Fab Sport Cage, Rocker and Rear Quarter Skins
My Warmachines702 Photo Album
My YouTube Channel

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help