Remove this ad

Lead

May 22 14 11:57 AM

Tags : : ,

Please bear with me while I explain this matter.

We are bringing 1,000 or more people in our rare disease community to our Community Board - CAREforKT.  We have a couple of public access forums that are placed in a prominent position with content that is designed to encourage reading and then a membership request. The plan is to get them to like our lead page (the Community Board) and the open content forum(s) and very quickly decide to SignUp (with you to access us) because the balance of our content by its nature is private and awesome. Worth noting, we are about personal and medical issues. Back on point, at this point their experience becomes less than stellar and I get off board messages about the site being broken.

I had my wife signup so I could follow her path, her instincts. She started with CARE for KT, then went to SignUp. She too had to ask, "where did the CARE for KT page go" and "how do I get back to it". You may be puzzled. I suspect that because we (the public) have varying levels of sophistication on the web, missing the obvious is happening. These people are joining CARE for KT (they don't see themselves as joining Forumer.Com, except as an ends to a means). They expect that once they SignUp and get their account they are now a member of the CARE for KT community. My wife said, "My account name says I'm a member of CARE for KT. What happened".  So, I get it now.

As someone who is bringing 1,000 or more people to Forumer for the express purpose of joining our Forum-based Community, I am extremely happy to have our community name "stamped" on their name. As these folks signup it should be equally automatic to have our community link placed on their home page so they have a means to easily get back to us. Adding that the SignUp process could even take them back to the CARE for KT community page immediately (although then we deal with explaining the benefits of being a Forumer account holder). Keeping everything as is simply requires that new members type our domain name into their browsers, but really is that a reasonable expectation considering ease of use is our objective. These folks are stopping at this point and using alternative media to complain to me.

This issue piggybacks on my earlier post about community administrators not having a natural (read immediate) notice that one of our 1,000 plus community members has chosen to sign up.  A successful community requires an active response to folks joining them. Hard to do when you don't know they have signed up to Forumer carrying your nameplate and even hard when their first contact with us is a complaint about things being broken. This issue has to be universally a problem for other boards that have preexisting communities that they are pushing towards Forumer.Com .

Thank you. Your consideration is greatly appreciated.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 22 14 9:02 PM

I had my wife signup so I could follow her path, her instincts. She started with CARE for KT, then went to SignUp. She too had to ask, "where did the CARE for KT page go" and "how do I get back to it".

You know, you really make a good point there. Let me discuss this with our team.

I am extremely happy to have our community name "stamped" on their name
This also helps with promoting a community, because when people wander around to other Forumer communities, they carry the community name with them, so to speak.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 23 14 10:48 AM

Thank you. I sincerely believe the changes I request will make you money and align with your business plan. I'm a retired business executive so my mind by force of habit takes me from "the immediate" to the "long term", which often don't have competing interests. It is satisfying to know you are considering these points. Look forward to you team's consideration.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help